1 As they approached Jerusalem and came to Bethphage and Bethany at the Mount of Olives, Jesus sent two of his disciples,2 saying to them, "Go to the village ahead of you, and just as you enter it, you will find a colt tied there, which no one has ever ridden. Untie it and bring it here.3 If anyone asks you, 'Why are you doing this?' say, 'The Lord needs it and will send it back here shortly.'"4 They went and found a colt outside in the street, tied at a doorway. As they untied it,5 some people standing there asked, "What are you doing, untying that colt?"6 They answered as Jesus had told them to, and the people let them go.” (Mark 11:1-6) NIV
I don’t know about you, but while I have great expectations for how The Lord will use my Seminary Studies in the future, I’m not exactly sure what that will look like. I am open to a few different types of opportunities due to where my strengths and passions lie, but I don’t exactly know what kind of role that will be. So, as I have been thinking and praying and seeking the wisdom of seasoned veterans, I was encouraged by the following observations in this somewhat strange passage:
1. Jesus sees gifts in us that may not recognize yet (v.2-3)
2. Jesus does not give us all the reasons why he makes a specific request, but he always reveals that in his time. (v2-3
3. Jesus knows that we might not feel prepared to use those gifts when we’re called upon to do so. (v 3)
4. Jesus still wants to use what we have for his purpose anyway, so be obedient. (v4)
5. Outsiders may question and even contest the mission that Jesus has given us, but don’t quit. (v5-6)
I wonder if the disciples had to explain the reason for the seemingly strange request. Or, I wonder how the owner of the colt felt when he learned that his colt was gone and I wonder if he realized how important his “offering” was and what such a significant role it would play in the kingdom?
God doesn’t reveal it all at once to us. He gives us a few pieces at a time for us to steward, but in time we begin to see the beautiful mosaic he’s creating.