Thursday, October 29, 2009

Nov 2

Ashebir's court date has been rescheduled for Nov. 2nd. We won't likely know anything further until then. We're praying for Ashebir's aunt... we don't know her condition now, but hope she returns to full health for her own family too.

As far as the Ethiopian partnerships are concerned, I heard back from Compassion the other day. They were very encouraging and look forward to investigating further opportunities in the future, but they are working with the first 30 Churches so far. This information helps tremendously as it further refines our vision. I will be placing more time and emphasis in initial work with Food For the Hungry, Ethiopia. They've got a great history, and an awesome strategy.

Thursday, October 22, 2009

What we do in life, echoes in eternity

To bring you up to speed…

On Monday morning this week we got a call from our Agency that a court date had been scheduled for Ashebir in Ethiopia on Wednesday this week (that would be attended by our CHSFS Rep and another woman with a connection to Ashebir)

We didn’t broadcast this because we knew it might get changed at the last minute…It did.

We got word on Tuesday that the woman connected to Ashebir was ill (malaria actually) and would not be able to attend. So his court date was scheduled for Nov. 2nd.

We are in close communication with our Agency, but we don’t expect to hear anything until much closer to the court date.

For those of you still seriously considering joining me on this adventure, get your things in order. Do not delay. We’ve got “a hill” to conquer.

Get your passport secured (must have at least 6 months before expiration date, when you arrive in Ethiopia), your immunizations taken care of and get ready to launch. I am beginning to secure accommodations – so your plans need to take some shape.

I have set up tentative plans to meet with Food for The Hungry and CURE International. I am still waiting to finalize details to connect with the C2C Program that is a partnership program with Compassion International and Willow Creek Association. These meetings and travel plans will incur some additional costs (ie. Travling with a Food for the Hungry Rep into the Ethiopian “outback” to visit on-site ministry opportunities) I will have details of those costs in the next week or so.

I will be in contact as I have more information.

Until that time, get ready. Pray, Plan, Prepare, and Pray some more.

What we do in life, echoes in eternity,


Below, is a list of consecutive steps that need to be completed before we are able to travel. Based on the information we have, we still estimate a Dec/Jan travel time – but now MORE LIKELY it will be in January.

We receive a family’s child acceptance. – Done Mon. 8/10/09

We notify our staff in Ethiopia to proceed forward. – week of 8/10/09

The staff in Ethiopia prepares a family’s documents for submission to the registrar. – Aug/Sep 09

The family’s documents are submitted to the Registrar – Aug/Sep 09

The Registrar logs the documents in and awaits assignments of court dates by judges – Aug/Sep 09

A date for a hearing is given (we are here- now scheduled for Nov. 2, 2009) – Oct. 21, 09

At the hearing, the judge reviews the case and either advises his/her decision or requests additional information

Decision is made or new court date is scheduled

When the decision is granted, the written court order is drafted and is usually issued within a week

Once the court order is issued, a letter of support is requested and received from the MOWA office

Once the MOWA letter is received, the birth certificate is issued-this usually takes about two weeks

When the birth certificate is issued, CHSFS will receive a scanned copy of it and will verify that the information is correct.

CHSFS will advise Ethiopia staff that the birth certificate information is correct and they will proceed to obtain the child’s Ethiopian passport, Embassy medical exam and will prepare the final paperwork to submit to the Embassy.

Once CHSFS receives verification that the child has completed the visa medical exam and that the U.S. Embassy in Addis Ababa has all of the documentation that they need for your case, we will advise your family of a travel date – you will receive approximately 4-6 weeks advance notice before you must arrive in country.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

court date... almost.

I got a call yesterday from our Agency Rep and she said that Ashebir's court date was scheduled for Wednesday - this week!

Yeah... that's what I thought. You've gotta be kidding!

I know that these dates often shift - even with a "sure thing" like this - so as our agent and I talked some more, she agreed that it was possible for the date to shift, but at that point to plan on Ashebir's process to be expedited.

Now.... today Tuesday 10/20
We received communication today, that the lady who brought Ashebir to the care center is ill.
She is the one who would be required to be in court to finalize the separation papers and because she is ill, she cannot attend this week.
Please pray with us for her health - and for the details to be worked out.

At this point, we still anticipate a December or January travel time.